Saturday, June 15, 2013

CREED CONTINUED-CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH

If I think about the concept of nothingness for too long my mind wanders too far.  We really can't conceive of the absence of everything material and otherwise easily.  Our first encounter of this nothingness in the Book of Genesis in the very first chapter: "In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless wasteland, and darkness covered the abyss" (Gen 1:1-1:2a, NABRE).  And God creates from this chaos.  The term often used for this is the Latin term ex nihlo.  This means that God creates something from nothing.

For me, this is an important aspect of God.  Hope springs from this whole concept of an Almighty God who can create everything--all things visible and invisible.  If God is Creator of all, then why could we not put all of our trust in God.  I am sure that of humanity with its free will allows us to trust either in ourselves or others or in God. When I thought about trusting in God or others, I am always reminded in that old saying that suggests that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.  I sure have trusted often in my own decisions or taken advice of others around me, only to see sin and failure.  Experience is clear for me in this.  And when I have studied God's Word in Scripture, I have always found peace and holiness.  There have been times when that peace or holiness took quite a while to happen, but it always has happened.  St. Padre Pio once said, "You can't give God deadlines" (from the book Padre Pio Under Investigation).   

God has created heaven and earth and all that is.  God created us as well.  God knows each one of us inside and out.  The Psalms remind us of this, "You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb.  I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; wonderful are your works!  My very self you you knew; my bones were not hidden from you" (Psalm 139:13-15, NABRE).  How amazing this is!  God knows our needs and desires.  God also knows everyone else as well.  Since we are not alone, God also knows how we can achieve those things we must achieve in order to make this world and our own lives the best they can be.  Here is where we must trust in the power of God to create this perfection in and through us.

Each day I must place my whole life into God's hands.  I pray you will trust God, too!

No comments: